livin rent free in my head
Aug. 5th, 2026 10:31 amThat's one expression; another is 'my newest vocal stim,' or when I was a youth it was simply 'favorite quotes.'
After all, my nerdy male friends couldn't stop quoting monty python holy grail.
I've also learned about echolalia and palilalia - and echologia (which is just thinking/hearing the phrase in your head).
I don't know what it falls under but the Spaceghost episode "King Dead" has a crapton of those moments, and the one in my head right now is 'Unreasonable Demands.'
The iconic villains - both voiced by C Martin Croker - are holding Spaceghost's apartment hostage, i think? And they make a video about their Unreasonable Demands but it turns into a movie trailer and they forget to ask for anything besides 'a pet i can love but i don't wanna take care of it.'
Anyway. Thinking about work being Dumb and daydreaming about the squad of us business people making Unreasonable Demands.
---
As I work with these folks on their teacher licensure, I kind of thought to myself --
a) I could get my music-teaching-license pretty easily
b) gah, teachers have it pretty good in terms of work protections (not in terms of the work being easy or whatever).
c) i saw a job opening for a music teacher somewhere closer to my new house
d) i might be ready to shake up the chessboard
so.
1. I realized after a weekend I'd be kind of sad if I didn't go for it and the opportunity passed me by and i never investigated.
2. I went for it! And I had a lovely chat with some folks I asked to be references. Since I've been out of the game for 15 years or so, I had to think about who would be good refs and I got one person who knows me as a musician/persoh, one person who knows my work as an informal educator, and I went and tossed my current boss on there in case they need him.
3. it was great to chat with my refs and I started feeling more confident.
4. in fact, I also started thinking --- Maybe I couldn't have done this well back in the day, but I def could now. And I'd be calm about it.
5. Also had a nice chat with Chat about this. and anka. and liz. and dan.
In conclusion.
I went for that one specific one, and will work on getting my licensure so it's a possibility open to me at some point. starting point for me is to take a practice subject-matter praxis ($17) and see how I do.
I might go for another similar opp in Mass; it's a little shorter drive than current commute.
Again, mostly I'm being curious about it rather than committed.
----
besides work being Stupid (not enough money or people to do anything well), I am doing a thing that feels aligned with things I like: we are expanding our tech to include HR stuff that we do with paper/pdf now and upgrading that will feel like a Lasting Contribution. So I want to get that stuff squared away then I'll feel like I'm at a good stopping point for being here.
I am lucky to be on the team I'm on -- and that's worth a LOT of being underpaid, underutilizedproprerly and overworked -- enough that it's kind of balanced out, plus even though I was applying for stuff in spring, IDK what I actually am doing next, which is a second good reason to stay.
Gut says, I won't get this particular thing I applied for, but I might be filled with determination to pursue it further in future.
After all, my nerdy male friends couldn't stop quoting monty python holy grail.
I've also learned about echolalia and palilalia - and echologia (which is just thinking/hearing the phrase in your head).
I don't know what it falls under but the Spaceghost episode "King Dead" has a crapton of those moments, and the one in my head right now is 'Unreasonable Demands.'
The iconic villains - both voiced by C Martin Croker - are holding Spaceghost's apartment hostage, i think? And they make a video about their Unreasonable Demands but it turns into a movie trailer and they forget to ask for anything besides 'a pet i can love but i don't wanna take care of it.'
Anyway. Thinking about work being Dumb and daydreaming about the squad of us business people making Unreasonable Demands.
---
As I work with these folks on their teacher licensure, I kind of thought to myself --
a) I could get my music-teaching-license pretty easily
b) gah, teachers have it pretty good in terms of work protections (not in terms of the work being easy or whatever).
c) i saw a job opening for a music teacher somewhere closer to my new house
d) i might be ready to shake up the chessboard
so.
1. I realized after a weekend I'd be kind of sad if I didn't go for it and the opportunity passed me by and i never investigated.
2. I went for it! And I had a lovely chat with some folks I asked to be references. Since I've been out of the game for 15 years or so, I had to think about who would be good refs and I got one person who knows me as a musician/persoh, one person who knows my work as an informal educator, and I went and tossed my current boss on there in case they need him.
3. it was great to chat with my refs and I started feeling more confident.
4. in fact, I also started thinking --- Maybe I couldn't have done this well back in the day, but I def could now. And I'd be calm about it.
5. Also had a nice chat with Chat about this. and anka. and liz. and dan.
In conclusion.
I went for that one specific one, and will work on getting my licensure so it's a possibility open to me at some point. starting point for me is to take a practice subject-matter praxis ($17) and see how I do.
I might go for another similar opp in Mass; it's a little shorter drive than current commute.
Again, mostly I'm being curious about it rather than committed.
----
besides work being Stupid (not enough money or people to do anything well), I am doing a thing that feels aligned with things I like: we are expanding our tech to include HR stuff that we do with paper/pdf now and upgrading that will feel like a Lasting Contribution. So I want to get that stuff squared away then I'll feel like I'm at a good stopping point for being here.
I am lucky to be on the team I'm on -- and that's worth a LOT of being underpaid, underutilizedproprerly and overworked -- enough that it's kind of balanced out, plus even though I was applying for stuff in spring, IDK what I actually am doing next, which is a second good reason to stay.
Gut says, I won't get this particular thing I applied for, but I might be filled with determination to pursue it further in future.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-06 05:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-11 10:01 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-11 10:03 am (UTC)Zorak: Hang on. It's, it's on, but we're not watching it.
Space Ghost: YOU'RE WASTING IT!
no subject
Date: 2026-08-11 10:05 am (UTC)https://www.c4vct.com/kym/brakbook/brakbook.htm
Wait a minute
Date: 2026-08-11 10:01 am (UTC)(Computer zooms in on painting of Golden Gate Bridge on Space Ghost's wall.)
Automated Voice: Enhancing. Enhancing complete.
Space Ghost: That's the bridge I painted. It's like they filmed this tape recording in an exact replica of my apartment. Wait a minute! They must be in my apartment! But wait a minute...
Automated Voice: Yellow.
Space Ghost: How'm I gonna get in there?
Automated Voice: Block.
Space Ghost: Wait a minute. I have the keys. Perfect!